Most probably, the most popular technological phenomenon now is the internet. It can easily be accessed through a laptop, smart phone, or computer. It has also become a part of our daily lives and it is truly considered essential to most people. Internet has so many uses. You can use it to meet new people or connect with your family and friends that live far from you.
Also, you can use it to express your creativity like posting your artwork and music n different online platforms. It is useful in finding entertainment like playing online games, listening to music, or watching videos on YouTube, and it has been proven useful to access information, to study and learn various skills like cooking or even dancing.
The internet really has it all. It has made people’s lives so much easy and fun. Most importantly, a lot of people have been using it to earn money online, from the comfort of their own homes.
Why should you work online from home?
There are plenty of reasons why opting to work online can be a good decision. Don’t get me wrong, working traditionally in an office can have its perks too. You’ll get to build your network, the equipment that you would need would be provided for you, you will have coworkers who you can build a relationship with, and you get to develop yourself professionally.
Although it can be good thing to work in an office, some people find it quite stressful and unrewarding especially when you’re just starting out. There would be times that even when you do your best, you will not get recognized right away.
If you’re currently in this kind of situation, then maybe working online can be the best solution for you. Here are some benefits you can get from working at home:
- You don’t have to travel and get tired from the hustle and bustle of the city. Say goodbye to the stress of getting stuck in traffic for hours
- You get to work at the comfort of your own home. All you need is a computer and good internet connection to get started
- Your schedule will depend on you. You will get to manage your time the way you want it
- You can also bring your work anywhere you go as long as you have a laptop or your work can be done by simply using a smartphone.
- Having a job online will definitely allow you to allot more time to your family, friends, and yourself. You’ll be free to do your hobbies, explore the world, and go on a vacation
- You can focus on what you love to do and build a business around it
- The income you will get will be all yours. The amount you will earn will depend on how much work you do and the effort that you put into it
- If you are an introvert then you will get to avoid the drama and unnecessary stress that comes in a workplace
- You are your own boss. You’ll be free to make all the decisions and have the freedom to do what you think is best
- No need to worry on what you need to wear every day. You can simply wear even your pajamas while working at home
As awesome as this may sound, I must say that to make a living online is not simple. You have to have the necessary skills, you should educate yourself with the industry you want to get into, and have your own expertise. Working online has its downside too. Below are some of the things you would have to consider before deciding to work online:
- It can get a little bit lonely since you won’t have any coworkers especially if you are somebody who loves to socialize
- Since you are the one in charge of everything especially your time, there will be instances that you might get lazy and procrastinate. Make sure to keep your priorities straight to avoid this
- You can’t just wing it. You have to give your best at all times and you will be responsible for everything
Ways to make a living on the internet
There are so many ways to earn money online. You can choose one depending on the skills that you already have or what interests you the most. Each of these jobs will have different requirements too.Below, I am going to discuss a few examples on how to make money from home.
Having your own blog can be a lot of fun. You’ll be able to express yourself, share your knowledge, and reach out to other people. However, you would need to establish yourself first and you also need to post quality content regularly. Most importantly, having a blog is totally free! Once you become popular there will be a lot of opportunities for you to earn. Here are some ways on how to get paid to blog:
- Have ads on your blog page. You can sell some space on your page for companies to place their ads.
- Get paid to review products. This is most applicable for blogs that specializes on beauty, fitness, and fashion. They will either give you free products or pay you for your honest review.
- Travel free. When you’re a travel blogger, a lot of companies nowadays can pay you to visit their hotel, resort, or establishment so you can write about it. Some would even fly you to a different country. Earning while getting to travel for free, awesome isn’t it?
There are still many ways for you to earn money through blogging, you can check out our guide.
2) Become a YouTube celebrity
Now this isn’t as simple as posting 1 video then expecting it to go viral. Although cases like those has happened, it is still rare. Becoming a YouTube celebrity is going to take a lot of work. You have to have your own creativity, a lot of viewers, and skills to make your content. You have to have the right equipment like an excellent camera, microphone, and lights and you need to learn how to edit your videos properly.
You can start earning when you become a YouTube partner wherein you will get paid depending on how many views your videos get, how many subscribers you have, and from the ads that will appear on you videos. Another way for you to earn money on YouTube is when you get sponsors or when people ask you to do a paid review.
3) Have your own website
This is similar to blogging. When you have your own website, you can get paid by how much traffic or visitors you drive to get to your page. This can be done by registering your website on Google Adsense. It helps you monetize the traffic coming in your website and will enable you to place advertisements. Although not the fastest, it is considered the best way to make money online. You can know more about Google Adsense through a Google search.
4) Have a business
It has been more than a decade since buying and selling online has become popular. Prices of products and services tend to be a lot cheaper online than physical stores. This is because sellers no longer need to pay for the space of their store since selling online is free. You can also make use of websites that are already established like EBay, Amazon, and Etsy where you only need to pay a small fee to sell your products.
5) Become a freelancer
This is perfect for people who already have a set of skills. There are a lot of platforms today that offers a wide range of jobs. Nowadays, the number of freelancers have grown by leaps and bounds. From virtual assistants, programmers, writers and editors, graphic artists, and more. There is really a job for everyone. It is also known that the salary for freelancing is sometimes bigger than other traditional office jobs. You can start off by signing up to websites like Upwork, Freelancer, Outsourcely, and Fiverr.
If you have an expertise, you can offer it to people and teach them. You can make tutorials and post them on YouTube, on your social media, or on your website. You can also have a one on one session with them through a video call. There’s a big selection of skills that people are interested to learn like the use of Photoshop and other Adobe applications, cooking, and even a certain language. People from countries like Japan, China, and Korea have been needing people to teach them English.
People check their Facebook every day. So a lot have been wondering how to make money on Facebook. There are quite a few ways and one of them is by creating a page simply putting quality content that people would like and posting advertisements too. You can even use this platform to sell products.
Things to remember
Deciding to leave your office job to pursue a career on the internet is not simple. People have the tendency to think that you can start earning online easy and fast. It can be a big struggle especially when you are just starting out. Here are a few things to remember before you begin working online.
- You should have the dedication. Since you will be working by yourself, no one else will be there to motivate you
- Accept rejection and failure. You really can’t avoid this especially at the beginning. This will allow you to grow and become stronger
- Develop your skills and educate yourself with your chosen field
- Make it clear to yourself why you want to leave your current job. If there isn’t a big reason to leave it, then maybe you can start off with jobs that require little time and attention like Google Adsense
- Master SEO or Search Engine Optimization. This is applicable for those who have their own website or blog pages. SEO will enable your post to appear on the front page of Google which will help give your website or blog page more traffic
Times really have changed a lot. From doing commerce on a physical market to transact your business, the world has become a virtual market where just about anything can be done online. Opting to work from home has its rewards and challenges as well. Know what you really want and pursue it. If you decide to leave your day job in the corporate world, braving the early morning traffic and the late night commute, be ready to face the hurdles you have to go through to earn online because it won’t be easy as pie.
You need to have certain set of skills and some time to establish and build your online presence. But working from home has its share of rewards and joys too as you will get to spend more time with your family, friends, loved ones and yourself. You own your time and has the advantage to work at your own pace as long as you deliver what’s expected from you and the result you want to achieve.
Unlike working at an office set up where your pay is almost what your boss says it is, you can earn as much as you can while working from home. You can dictate how much you want to earn as you can do just about anything to make it in the virtual world. Weigh your options carefully.
You may decide to work online on the side while keeping your day job and quit when you are able to replace your earnings with the money you get from working online. You need not quit right away especially if earning your keep is so important for you and your family’s well-being.
There is money to be had from working online. It’s really up to you to make it in the virtual world. If you want to know more ways to earn money online, you can check out our guide to making money online.